Thursday 15 September 2011

Come Fly With Me

First part of the epic journey complete. Now I have 3 days of 'funtivities' with my sister in Seattle before the final flight down to San Jose airport on Sunday!
Journey was pretty uneventful and all the problems I predicted would happen once I reached immigration didn't. In fact, the guy just stamped my stuff, told me about his college experience of how he took a Soviet film class and loved it, and sent me on my way! Of course customs would pick on the disheveled, tired, red faced girl lugging literally her life down the corridor to go for extra screening. At this point, I didn't care that they confiscated a packet of Beef Jerky! It was a strange journey. I kept going through a mixture of emotions that I wish to apologise to the people i sat next to for. In particular Susan from Bellingham who started the journey telling my all about her fantastic trip to "Edinburrooww" and then proceeded to witness me telling her excitedly why I was going to America, an hour later watch me burst into gut wrenching sobs and then wet myself laughing while listening to Miranda! IcelandAir entertainment was pretty good, loads of movies from The Adjustment Bureau to Ice Age 3 to Baz Lurhmanns Romeo and Juliet (coincidentally after finally watching Moulin Rouge yesterday with the bff and eating Ben and Jerry's...Happy Birthday to her btw:)) ! They even had mini documentaries on Iceland giving you fun facts about the place...did you know that you can look at the Prime Minister in the phonebook and call him or that 75% of the population believes in elves? Ah the things you find interesting when there is just nothing else to do.
Had a few hours to kill in Reykjavik airport in Iceland and here is my tip...if you don't like eggs, do not visit Iceland. They put egg mayo in everything...roast beef baguettes included. I went for a ham and lettuce sandwich with egg in it, sushi on a plane just doesn't sound right.  Landing at Iceland looked like you were landing on the moon. Alas I did not have a camera with me otherwise I would provide you with photos but the land is literally flat volcanic rock and ash with mountains in the distance. I half expected to see the Clangers pop up from behind a geiser!
Jetlag is an absolute bitch. You would have thought that after not sleeping for 30hours my body would sleep for a week. Nope. Wide awake by 5am, stomach rumbling telling me it was lunch time back home. Hence why this blog is short and kinda boring. I'm waiting for the sister to get up!

No comments:

Post a Comment