Sunday 25 September 2011

Week 1. Check.

I have now been here a full week! In some ways that has gone really fast, in others not so much.
Now that classes have started and the homework and reading assignments are being thrown at me from every direction I know that I shall soon find a groove and routine. Speaking of reading, the grand total of books that I have purchased just for 'Fall Quarter' has reached the dizzy heights of $300!!!! That is insane. I'm trying to remind myself that that figure is not in pounds but that is still ridiculous! I don't think I spent the equivalent on books in the first 2 years at Warwick and that is what I have spent for a little over 10 weeks at UCSC! Next quarter I am NOT taking a literature class!
All the clubs that I signed up for at OPERS have their first meetings this week so I am really excited to get involved in them and meet some more people:) Everyone that I have met have been really friendly which can be a bit off-putting actually as it is quite forward. Us Brits tend to ignore everyone and wait for the other person to introduce themselves, and even then, their gesture is greeted with a smile and a "Hello", not "Oh my ggodd you have an accent! Where are you from? Why are you here? Oh that's cute" etc etc. I have shaken so many hands in the past week. I am not complaining at all, in fact, I think that we could learn something from the Americans in this department, it just takes a bit of getting used to. Same with the whole "Hey-how-are-you-have-a-nice-day" thing in shops...
I have been having a bit of trouble with my foot which flared up before I left England. I had been told to rest for 6 weeks and while some of you may not believe that I have been resting (I have tried as much as possible truly!) it has been getting worse so i decided to go to the health centre to get their advice. Well, i walked in and came out with a foot bandage, ice packs, crutches and ushered into the on campus disability van that drove me the 100feet back to my apartment! I have this van at my disposal for the next week which I think is so funny! They take very good care of you here!
Other things that have been going on...an outside screening of Toy Story 3, a trip to Capitola Mall, copious amounts of frozen yoghurt consumed, game nights, night time wanderings (gently obviously;)) aanndd I found a Body Pump class close to campus that I went to today! Also, for the first time, it is raining today which I am concerned about. If it rains solidly for 7hours straight then that means tonight, at 10pm, the annual Naked Run will commence! I shall explain more if that happens!
This week is going to be BUSY. So many meetings, classes, homework etc etc. Hopefully I survive! Some more photos: Bookstore and SU, Monterey Bay from my college's dining hall, and an interesting painting..points to the person who can figure out what's going on!


Oh and if anyone knows who went out of The Great British Bake Off, if they can let me know that that would be great:D

No comments:

Post a Comment