Monday 16 January 2012

'Her'story

First week back of the winter quarter (though I'm not sure why they are calling this winter when it was 22 degrees the other day!). Oh and Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day! (Day off...yes please.)
All new classes to find around campus, all the ridiculously expensive books to buy, all new people to meet. Again, the week has just flown by but also my time in Seattle seems a very long time ago!
I shall give you a brief rundown of my classes....

  • Spanish 3- or more appropriately named, the retard class. That is me feeling retarded, not that the other people are! This teacher, who is nice but a bit intimidating, insists that you are not aloud to speak a word of english in her classroom. You have a question, she won't answer you if you can't ask it in spanish! Needless to say, I am not expecting a good grade from this woman. I am dreading presentation week where each of us has to give a presentation to the class, entirely in Spanish and with not notecards. I'm cringing all ready at just how awful it is going to be.
  • Race, Gender and Islam in America. I can't decide whether this is a sociology/feminism studies class or a history class. We spent the best part of an hour the other day trying to answer the questions 'What is race?' and 'What is gender?' which lead to a heated debate as to why it is called HIStory and not HERstory and what it means to be a feminist. I sighed and rolled my eyes at the appropriate places. I have little patience for things like that. 
  • Now, the best class- WALT DISNEY! All I have to say is that in one or our lectures last week we watched youtube clips of early Disney animation and next week we are watching Snow White! Also, due at the end of the quarter is our 'Imagineering Project' where in groups you have to design and create an attraction for Disneyland. I love college.
Aside from that, not much has happened otherwise. The weather has been so gorgeous this last week that me and some friends decided to go to the beach yesterday but of course, that would be the day where it was windy and freezing! Needless to say we spent all morning getting ready to go, spent an hour in Safeway buying picnic stuff, got to the beach, stayed 30mins, got in the car and came home! Though we did end up having a good day by just sitting on the sofa watching episode after episode of Castle...check it out, it is amazing. Hoepfully a longer and more exciting post next week as I am going on a trip to see some elephant seals at a state park! Random I know, but when in America...

I shall leave you with a weird accordion player that I saw downtown a few days ago. I wasn't sure whether he was a serial killer disguised as a musician or the other way round.....

No comments:

Post a Comment