Sunday 5 February 2012

Finally a Banana Slug!!

It has taken almost 5 months but I have finally spied my first banana slug!!
Walking back in the afternoon to return some stupid Spanish movie to the library I saw something long and yellow from the corner of my eye and low and behold, this time it was not a small banana, it was a banana slug, the mascot of UCSC! I got very snap happy so here are a few photos that I took:


As you can see, they are pretty cute, well cuter than a regular grey slimy slug. However I did not partake in the tradition of kissing a banana slug...that just seemed wrong on so many levels.
It has been a week of wildlife actually. It is not everyday that you have to keep a look out for mountain lions as you walk to and from the library or around campus! I proper freaked myself out when walking back from the library at about 9pm, in the dark, down a uninhabited path. I definitely saw some eyes stalking me. And then a friend told me she saw a mountain lion cub not too far away! Half of me wants to see one and the other half of me doesn't! Apparently some more were spotted near my apartment and another one who was 'stalking some hikers'. Perhaps I will buy myself some pepper spray or something. I also know EXACTLY what to do if I do come across one...we got sent an information sheet just in case!

Friday night, me and some friends went down to the Boardwalk where there is this big arcade, bowling and laser quest (they call it laser tag here). I have not played laser quest in like 8 years and my competitive side certainly got the better of me, which it has been doing all week.! I love that adrenaline rush of stalking someone with a gun in a smoky, dimly lit, obstacle filled arena...maybe I should join the army?
After a few games of DDR (Dance, Dance Revolution) which we epically failed on after being cocky and choosing a higher level than our co-ordination abilities allowed, we headed out with our winnings- some plastic heart rings, shot glasses for the guys and a plastic frog.
Not much else to report on. I hear England, and indeed the rest of Europe is experiencing some chilly weather?;) Once again, I love California.

Ok, off to prepare for the SUPERBOWL! I think some chicken wings may be in order....

No comments:

Post a Comment