Saturday 2 June 2012

Fallen for Yosemite

Only one more week left of classes, then finals week and then that is it. Finished. Oh my lord. As always I am drowning in essays and exam preparation and thinking about packing all of my stuff up which seems to have tripled in volume since I arrived! No idea how I am going to cart all that out of here!

Monday was Memorial Day which was great because we got a day off but it also sucked because there was nothing open on campus (library, coffee shops, anything), and also there were no city buses to take you downtown. So I was pretty much stuck all day in my apartment. I tried really hard to do work but not much got done! That evening one of my friends came to pick me up and we went and bought sushi and sat out on the cliffs overlooking the ocean while eating our dinner. It was very relaxing:)

Had a Spanish exam on Wednesday which didn't go too bad so I have some hopes for that one! I felt like I deserved a good break, even if it was just going to be for 36 hours. At 9pm that evening, two girls who I didn't know, came to pick me up and we drove to our friends house who lives in Turlock, about 2 1/2 hours away. We stayed the night and got up the next morning at 6.30am, fed a lovely breakfast by her mum, and then we hit the road to go to Yosemite!! Took another 2 hours to get there but it was so worth it! Just an absolutely gorgeous place. One of the most gorgeous places I have ever seen actually. Sheer granite mountains, waterfalls, huge redwoods and pine trees. My friend had parking passes which meant our day was completely free! Winning.
We started out going to the Bridalveil Falls which was just a taster of what was to come! Next we drove over to the Mist Trail to take a hike up to Vernal Falls (317ft high!!), Emerald Pool and the Nevada Falls (we didn't make it to the latter but we did see it from afar!). It was such a steep, steep hike. My knees were screaming at me the whole way. I knew that they were going to be an issue before I decided to go on the trip but I didn't want to miss out because of them! The hike is only a few miles but it winds all the way up, and the last half is like the staircase to heaven. Except the stairs are really big, made out of granite, and pretty uneven! As the name suggests, the closer we got to Vernal Falls, the wetter we got because the mist spray coming off of the waterfall was so intense! It may just be me, but does anyone else have a really weird urge to jump when you are right on the edge of a big drop? No. Hmm.






After we made it to the top, we had a picnic lunch and just hung round, trying not to be harassed by ground squirrels that are seriously tame. I could have picked one up if I wanted to. After our descent back down we went to stake out the visitor centre and take a peek inside the famous, and extremely posh hotel, the Ahwahnee, where prices start at $500 for one night. We just got some free water and left because it was obvious we didn't belong there! Gives me something to aim for in the future; earn enough money to be able to afford upper-class camping in Yosemite. Other stops along the way included the riding stables that I desperately wanted to do but we didn't have time and it was pretty expensive. Next time, that is a must.

On our way out of the park we happened across Yosemite Falls, the most famous waterfall in America because it is the highest in North America. And let me tell you, it is flippin' huge! We swung the car around to get a better view, only to come face to face with Half Dome, the next most famous view of Yosemite! It was just perfect. The sun was at just the right height which made the landscape look even more dramatic. The weather on our trip was perfect as well, it was 95 degrees! This could have felt hotter but on the trails you are in the shade of the trees a lot and the mist from the waterfalls kept you cool while you were hiking. An air-conditioned car also helped.



The only negative thing I have to say about Yosemite is just how many people are there. We were there on a Thursday and the Mist trail was pretty full. It wasn't a wilderness walk, you were surrounded by people. When we stopped to look at Half Dome and Yosemite Falls, though you can't see it from the photos, we are stood by a really busy road with tour buses and cars going past! I understand why it is like that, and it didn't bother me, I just like to see nature in nature if you know what I mean!
We left Yosemite and got back to Turlock at around 8pm, so we stopped at the Taco Truck to get burritos and tacos. A very American experience, well a Californian experience, pulling up in a car park where there are a row of Mexican trucks lined up selling food! I'm still not a big fan of Mexican food but it was pretty good. Got back to UCSC close to midnight after an amazing 24 hours, very tired, and in need of a shower. I love America.

No comments:

Post a Comment