Sunday 2 October 2011

Pelicans, Seals and Deer oh my!

Sunday evening is shaping up to be a pretty good blog writing time. Nothing much goes on at this time; homework would have been done by now if it was every going to get done today, there aren't any dining halls or coffee shops open on campus to go spend the imaginary flexi dollars, nothing good is on TV and apart from mentally preparing yourself for the coming work week, you are sedentary and that is how you are going to stay until tomorrow.
Only seems like yesterday that the previous post was being written at the end of week 1, and now week 2 has vanished into the abyss. What is there to report? Initially, it feels like nothing has happened so why do I feel so tired? The first week back after summer holidays is always a shock to the system. For starters, I know I am usually a pretty early riser, but this is voluntary. When I have to be up at 8am five days in a row, it is hard. Really hard. Especially as on two of these occasions it is to go to a swim conditioning class where the instructor took great joy in announcing at the first class that it was "part of her job to make us throw up" from sheer exertion. Swimming is the only cardio I can do at the moment because of my foot so me being me, i've taken it to the extreme. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade, or lemon cake! I've forgotten the proper saying. Swimming caps are a must in this class too....sexxyyy. A friend has lent me hers for the time being and so I look like a purple egg, literally. At least the pool is outside and so that intense chlorine smell that usually hits you as you walk into any leisure centre isn't as prominent!
I have been spending quite a bit of time at the pool this week. I've joined the Kayak Club and our first session on Wednesday took place at the pool where we all got into wet suits (again seexxxyy) and practiced rolling the kayaks and escaping from them. Not a fan of that feeling that you are about to drown and 'which way is the surface?!' but hopefully in time that will improve and I will soon be bombing down 40ft waterfalls and river rapids like in that video they showed us at the start! Perhaps not.
The legal drinking age is grating really thin now. I thought that it wouldn't bother me but it has only been 2 weeks and it rrreeaalllyy is! It isn't so much missing the alcohol (though there are times especailly because the weather is really nice that you just want a nice glass of pimms, or 'other interesting white wines')
 but the fact that you aren't even allowed into the bars or pubs. You can be in restaurants but only until 10pm! (the above photo was taken at 8pm lol) The majority of the friends that I have made so far here are over 21 too which is annoying as when they want to go out, I can't go! So lets just say i've taken steps to make sure that I can go next time which should arrive in the post within the next week!
So much reading. So so much reading. I don't want to read anymore. That feeling bodes well for the next 2 years of my humanities degree! Took a nice break from the reading this afternoon/evening and went with my roommate for a picnic at the beach. Sat and watched lots of pelicans and a very lively seal (i was convinced it was a whale) before spending hours in the supermarket deciding whether peanut butter oreos were such a good idea!
Well a riveting book on racial formations and theories beckons so I will leave it there. Some random pictures of the pelicans and seal from the beach and deer on campus for y'all to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment