Sunday 16 October 2011

Would you like a microphone to go with that California Roll?

Busy couple of weeks as per usual. Though it is Sunday so blog day has been upheld!
Many deadlines coming up in the next few days which is stressing me out somewhat. Two spanish exams, a presentation and a paper due ah! I've already had 1 spanish exam and got 88.5 out of 100 which I was really happy with however in America that only is a B! At home that would have been the highest First ever! I wonder how Warwick transfer the grades hmmmm.

Something I have noticed recently is the amount of people who just don't wear shoes. Or socks. They  walk around barefoot. They walk into lectures barefoot, they jog round the track barefoot, I've even seen a few people in the supermarket barefoot! I wondered why there were signs in front of the dining halls saying 'No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service'! Santa Cruz is quite a hippy town and university but the people who are practicing this 'freedom' so to speak are not your average hippies. Quite the opposite in fact. My strength training teacher started talking to us about this...how shoes, if worn for long periods of time, can actually be bad for your feet! Walking or running on natural surfaces is how we lived for thousands of years. She has a point but still, we are living in the 21st Century. I don't want to be sitting next to some guy with his feet in my face during a seminar. If you want to get your feet back to grass roots then do that outside! There is no grass or sand or mud in this lecture hall! This is one thing that I won't be participating in at UCSC. I like shoes.

Went to a sushi restaurant, appropriately called 'I Love Sushi' for a friends birthday on Friday night. It doubles up as a karaoke bar so while you are served your Red Dragon Roll and Miso Soup there are a group of girls who have had a bit too much Sake belting out classics like 'I Will Survive' and 'Gangster's Paradise'! Highly entertaining even if it does make it a bit hard to talk to people. There were 27 of us at this meal and there was one guy, from Britain, who is the twin of James McAvoy (with his english accent, not scottish)!!  I got very excited! I hope to bump into him again:P If I had been allowed some alcohol then maybe I would have considered getting up there (in a group of course!) but alas, I was not. I'm looking forward to my ID arriving!

Along with the deer and racoons on campus (both cute, furry animals) the flat had a bit of a shock at 1am a few nights ago. I was fast asleep when I kind of came too when I heard screaming from my roommate. I was still half asleep so I just incorporated it into my dream however when I heard the word 'Tarantula' being yelled, I jumped out of bed so fast (not an easy task seeing as the beds are like 6 feet high!) that I almost fainted! I ran into the kitchen where a number of people were congregated around a tupperware box with the biggest, hairiest, scariest spider ever in it. Now I'm pretty good with spiders but this was insane. We called the Campus Security Officers (CSO's) who came at 1.30am to tell us how it was not a tarantula but a distant cousin of one. I don't know if that was reassuring or not. Anyway, we named him Alfred and kept him to show people for a few days before releasing him a long long way away! I was quickly reminded that there are poisonous and dangerous animals living in the woods of California and are usually spotted on campus. I miss the sheep of Warwickshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment